Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lifestyles

I really can't do diets. It's not that I don't think they work (though sometimes I feel that the risk of yoyo-ing is likely), it's just that it doesn't align with my philosophy about food. I am passionate about the joy and pleasure we find in food, and cannot restrict food to its strictest nutritional elements. I personally do not view it as a mere source of fuel. However, considering my feelings, it is strange to note that I am usually eating in front of a computer or television.

I am an avid multi-tasker, and will unintentionally take every opportunity I can to do so. As we all know, though, eating should not be one of those moments. We should sit and savour each bite, have those Pixar Ratatouille-esque moments where we marvel at the symphony of flavors.

But I get bored, you know?

How does this make sense, you might be asking, if I enjoy food? Well, maybe that explains why I enjoy eating out so much. In such a setting, I'm forced to savour my food and become inclined to appreciate and discuss it with my friends. Alone, at home, I inhale my food like a wolf.

Oh yeah, I'm also a very fast eater. Except in a good restaurant.

So I've decided to dabble in slow eating. I don't know if it's realistic to say that I'll only eat my meals in my dining room, but... I started with breakfast today.



A heavenly slice of that Ace Bakery sun dried tomato bread I mentioned in my first post and some plain Balkan style yogurt with Bonne Maman raspberry jam and a squirt of lemon juice. Since the raspberry is in jam form, it's not that tart and quite sugary, so I added the lemon to "lift" the flavor. I also added it to compliment the zesty sun dried tomato in the bread.

The bread itself is a defender of carbs. With a taste, it explains why we should eat carbs. Chewing it feels good for the soul - it is dense and elastic, a slice of warmth bending scrapes of melting butter to its will. It toasts wonderfully because it doesn't turn into a giant dry slab/cracker like many loaves are prone to do. Is it the amount of gluten in the bread that allows it to remain so heavenly? Regardless, I really love a bread that really gives you something to bite into.

So that was a good start to enjoying my day to day meals more! I wonder how lunch will go.

No comments:

Post a Comment